Posted on

How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Washington State

Washington State Medical Marijuana

It doesn’t have to be stressful to get a medical marijuiana card in Washington state!

Our step-by-step guide will make the process flow as smoothly as possible!

Once you have a cannabis ID, you will be allowed to visit any medically endorsed marijuana stores in the Evergreen State.

Though recreational use of maraijuana is legal in Washington, there are incredible benefits to getting a medical marijuana card in Washington state. These benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Being permitted to possess more marijuana than recreational users. If you are a medical patient, you will be allowed to possess up to 48 ounces of marijuana-infused products in solid form. You are also permitted to possess 216 ounces of liquid marijuana and up to 21 grams of concentrates.
  • Permission to grow your own cannabis at home. Even though recreational use is legal in Washington, every day users are not allowed to grow marijuana at home. Medical patients, on the other hand, are granted the right to grow up to six plants for medicinal use. You are also allowed to store up to 8 ounces of usable marijuana collected from your plants.
  • Ability to join a Growers’ Collective. Sharing is caring! With your cannabis ID, you can pool together with other patients and grow a collective garden together. These collectives are allowed to contain up to sixty plants.

Ready to get your medical marijuana card in Washington state?

Here’s exactly what you need to do:

First, you must schedule an appointment with a medical marijuana doctor.

Only a certified marijuana doctor can recommend (“prescribe”) medical cannabis for your needs. Fortunately, the Washington State Department of Health has a database of physicians who are qualified to make such recommendations.

In order to quality, you must have a condition such as:

  • Cancer
  • Intractable and / or chronic pain
  • PTSD
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Crohn’s disease
  • And anything of similar nature or debilitation

If you are younger than 18 years old, then a parent or legal guardian must accompany you to the doctor’s visit. Your parents or a guardian must also agree to the use of marijuana authorization so that you can hold a recognition card.

Your Medical Marijuana Doctor Must Complete an Authorization Form

Once your physician determines that you have a qualifying condition, they must fill out a Medical Marijuana Authorization Form from the state of Washington.

This form is not mailed to the state. Rather, this form will be given to you, so be sure to guard it well! If for any reason you need another one, contact your practitioner immediately so that you can request a replacement.

Meet with a Certified Consultant

This is one of the steps that is unique to Washington. In other states such as Florida, the request for a cannabis ID is sent directly to the state health department.

Washington State Medical Marijuana

In Washington, however, you must schedule an appointment with a certified consultant. When you meet with a certified consultant, you must bring the Medical Marijuana Authorization Form, which was filled out by your practitioner, with you.

Fortunately, the state website has a list of all medically licensed retail stores. It is required by law that each of these stores has a certified consultant on duty, so that’s where you’ll go to finish the process.

Though the certified consultants are not medical providers, they will help you finish the process by:

  • Submitting your name and provider information into an MMJ database
  • Creating your MMJ card
  • Helping you choose the right medical marijuana products for your condition
  • Guiding you on how to safely store your products and use them correctly
  • Answering any questions you have about Washington’s MMJ laws

Be sure to bring government issued identification with you to make the process as smooth as possible!

Appoint a Designated Provider

Every patient is allowed 1 designated provider. These are caregivers who are allowed to purchase or pickup medical marijuana on your behalf. For those under the age of 18, this might be a parent. For those who have to work or who are unable to leave their home, this is often a spouse or a caregiver who visits the house.

A designated provider is only allowed to help 1 patient at the time in Washington state.

Rules for Medical Marijuana Patients from Out-of-State

Washington does not currently have a “reciprocity clause,” meaning that medical cards from other states will not work here. 

Fortunately, recreational cannabis is legal, so you can still purchase from a licensed adult-use store. While you won’t experience the same benefits as someone carrying a cannabis card (such as being able to possess more marijuana), at least you’ll be able to get the relief and treatment you need for your condition.

The post How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Washington State appeared first on Cannabis World.