How to Roll a Blunt
So you think you are a champion joint roller, but have never attempted to achieve master level when it comes to rolling blunts? Famous for their fatness and signature brown wrapper, some cannabis consumers prefer blunts – ground cannabis flower rolled in cigar paper or palm leaves – because they burn more slowly, and when combined with tobacco, may offer a high that could be a bit more intense or buzzy from your normal experience. Here’s how you can roll a blunt perfectly, every time – with some practice, of course.
Rolling a Cannabis Blunt
A lot of people think that rolling a blunt is easier than rolling a joint, but have you ever put that to the test?
First, you’ll need to gather your ground herb (or a grinder to grind fresh herb), a blunt wrap, and a lighter. Now that you’ve got your materials gathered, follow along with the video above and written instructions below to roll the perfect blunt.
Steps for Rolling a Perfect Blunt:
- Begin with your cigar or cigarillo of choice (make sure it’s fresh!)
- With your fingers (or pocketknife), crack a seam at the top of the cigar and slowly break it down the middle.
- Remove the blunt “guts,” or all the tobacco innards
- Next, lick the edges of the wrap, then spread it flat on the surface
- Brush aside the “guts” from your work area
- Grind your weed, anywhere from 1-3 grams, depending on how fat you want the blunt to be
- Pour the ground weed evenly into the wrap
- Use your fingers to distribute evenly throughout, then gently begin rolling
- Once packed, tuck the end corner around the marijuana
- Slowly tuck the rest of the paper, and roll it three quarters of the way up
- Now, it’s time to give that roll a good licking. Literally. Lick the wrap, and use your lips to attach both sides and create a seal
- And you’re finished! Your blunt is ready for lighting and consumption
Blunts are often consumed at parties because they tend to stay together better than joints and burn longer (perfect for the ritual “puff, puff, pass), though the nicotine/cannabis mix is not for everyone. And, there is a dearth of research on the health effects of nicotine and cannabis when combined, but it’s no secret that smoking nicotine has deleterious effects on overall health, taking the lives of 480,000 Americans annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Alternatives to Cigars and Tobacco Blunt Wraps
A popular alternative to using cigars for blunts is to roll them from palm leaves instead. Palm leaf blunts, which many consumers believe taste better than cigar blunts, maintain the same slow burn, are easy to roll, and don’t contain any potentially dangerous additives (which are then inhaled into your system). Not to mention they are more hygienic as well, since the roll sticks without having to be licked. They are also a more eco-friendly option than rolling papers because palm leaves are fast-growing and regenerative, and free from toxins created by the paper dying process.
If you’d rather try palm leaves, check out your local dispensary or smoke shop. King Palm wraps are the most well-known, but consider wrapping a blunt in paper made from hemp, marijuana’s eco-friendly cousin. Some well-known brands to check out are High Hemp and Twisted Hemp. Happy rolling!
How do you like to roll your blunts? Are there any tips or tricks you’d like to share with other readers? Show off your blunt rolling knowledge and skills in the comments below.