Novel cannabidiol sunscreen protects keratinocytes and melanocytes against ultraviolet B radiation.
Cannabidiol (CBD), a natural occurring phytocannabinoid, is used extensively in consumer products ranging from foods to shampoos, topical oils and lotions. Several studies demonstrated the anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties of cannabidiol. Nevertheless, the role of cannabidiol use in sunscreens is largely unknown as no studies on its effect on keratinocytes or melanocytes exist. As such, we aimed to explore the effect of CBD on keratinocyte and melanocyte viability following ultraviolet B (UVB) irradiation. CBD exhibited a dose-dependent protective effect on both keratinocytes and melanocyte viability. Further, since CBD does not demonstrate absorption in the UVB spectra, we speculate that the protective effect is due to reduction in reactive oxygen species. To our knowledge, this is the first study demonstrating the protective effect of CBD on keratinocytes and melanocytes irradiated with UVB.
Keywords: Cannabidiol; reactive oxygen species; ultraviolet A; ultraviolet B.
© 2020 Wiley Periodicals LLC.
Cannabidiol protects keratinocyte cell membranes following exposure to UVB and hydrogen peroxide.
Redox Biol. 2020 Sep;36:101613. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2020.101613. Epub 2020 Jun 23. Redox Biol. 2020. PMID: 32863232 Free PMC article.
Cannabidiol Effects on Phospholipid Metabolism in Keratinocytes from Patients with Psoriasis Vulgaris.
Biomolecules. 2020 Feb 28;10(3):367. doi: 10.3390/biom10030367. Biomolecules. 2020. PMID: 32121131 Free PMC article.
Cannabidiol Regulates the Expression of Keratinocyte Proteins Involved in the Inflammation Process through Transcriptional Regulation.
Cells. 2019 Aug 3;8(8):827. doi: 10.3390/cells8080827. Cells. 2019. PMID: 31382646 Free PMC article.
Cannabidiol-Mediated Changes to the Phospholipid Profile of UVB-Irradiated Keratinocytes from Psoriatic Patients.
Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Sep 9;21(18):E6592. doi: 10.3390/ijms21186592. Int J Mol Sci. 2020. PMID: 32916896
Ca2+ and UVB radiation have no effect on E-cadherin-mediated melanocyte-keratinocyte adhesion.
Pigment Cell Res. 1995 Oct;8(5):255-62. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0749.1995.tb00672.x. Pigment Cell Res. 1995. PMID: 8789200
- Slominski AT, Zmijewski MA, Plonka PM, Szaflarski JP, Paus R. How UV light touches the brain and endocrine system through skin, and why. Endocrinology. 2018;159(5):1992‐2007.
- Chen H, Weng QY, Fisher DE. UV signaling pathways within the skin. J Investig Dermatol. 2014;134:2080‐2085.
- Brash DE. UV signature mutations. Photochem Photobiol. 2015;91:15‐26.
- Gęgotek A, Biernacki M, Ambrożewicz E, Surażyński A, Wroński A, Skrzydlewska E. The cross‐talk between electrophiles, antioxidant defence and the endocannabinoid system in fibroblasts and keratinocytes after UVA and UVB irradiation. J Dermatol Sci. 2016;81:107‐117.
- Bornheim LM, Grillo MP. Characterization of cytochrome P450 3A inactivation by cannabidiol: possible involvement of cannabidiol‐hydroxyquinone as a P450 inactivator. Chem Res Toxicol. 1998;11(10):1209‐1216.
L’article Novel cannabidiol sunscreen protects keratinocytes and melanocytes against ultraviolet B radiation. est apparu en premier sur Cannabis Belgique.