Serum cannabidiol, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and their native acid derivatives after transdermal application of a low-THC Cannabis sativa extract in beagles.
Cannabinoids hold promise for treating health problems related to inflammation and chronic pain in dogs, in particular cannabidiol (CBD), and its native acid derivative cannabidiolic acid (CBDA). Information regarding systemic delivery of cannabinoids through transdermal routes is sparse. The purpose of this study was to determine pharmacokinetics of transdermal administration of a low-THC Cannabis sativa extract in healthy dogs. Six purpose-bred research beagles were treated with a transdermal CBD-CBDA-rich extract, and serum concentrations of CBD, CBDA, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and its acid derivative tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) were examined prior to and at the end of weeks 1 and 2. A 4 mg/kg dose of total cannabinoids twice daily resulted in appx 10 ng/ml of CBD, 21-32 ng/ml of CBDA, trace amounts of THCA, and unquantifiable amounts of THC in serum at the end of weeks 1 and 2 of treatment. Results showed that CBDA and THCA were absorbed better systemically than CBD or THC.
Keywords: cannabidiol; cannabidiolic acid; dog; hemp; tetrahydrocannabinol; transdermal.
© 2020 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Raman-Based Differentiation of Hemp, Cannabidiol-Rich Hemp, and Cannabis.
Anal Chem. 2020 Jun 2;92(11):7733-7737. doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.0c00828. Epub 2020 May 21. Anal Chem. 2020. PMID: 32401504
Heat exposure of Cannabis sativa extracts affects the pharmacokinetic and metabolic profile in healthy male subjects.
Planta Med. 2012 May;78(7):686-91. doi: 10.1055/s-0031-1298334. Epub 2012 Mar 12. Planta Med. 2012. PMID: 22411724 Clinical Trial.
A reliable and validated LC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous quantification of 4 cannabinoids in 40 consumer products.
PLoS One. 2018 May 2;13(5):e0196396. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0196396. eCollection 2018. PLoS One. 2018. PMID: 29718956 Free PMC article.
Cannabis sativa L. and Nonpsychoactive Cannabinoids: Their Chemistry and Role against Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Cancer.
Biomed Res Int. 2018 Dec 4;2018:1691428. doi: 10.1155/2018/1691428. eCollection 2018. Biomed Res Int. 2018. PMID: 30627539 Free PMC article. Review.
Recent advances in Cannabis sativa research: biosynthetic studies and its potential in biotechnology.
Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2007 Aug;8(4):237-43. doi: 10.2174/138920107781387456. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2007. PMID: 17691992 Review.
- Bartner, L. R., McGrath, S., Rao, S., Hyatt, L. K., & Wittenburg, L. A. (2018). Pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol administered by 3 delivery methods at 2 different dosages to healthy dogs. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 82, 178-183.
- Birnbaum, A. K., Karanam, A., Marino, S. E., Barkley, C. M., Remmel, R. P., Roslawski, M., … Leppik, I. E. (2019). Food effect on pharmacokinetics of cannabidiol oral capsules in adult patients with refractory epilepsy. Epilepsia, 60, 1586-1592. https://doi.org/10.1111/epi.16093
- Bråred Christensson, J., Karlberg, A. T., Andersen, K. E., Bruze, M., Johansen, J. D., Garcia-Bravo, B., … White, I. R. (2016). Oxidized limonene and oxidized linalool – concomitant contact allergy to common fragrance terpenes. Contact Dermatitis, 74, 273-280.
- Bruni, N., Pepa, C. D., Oliaro-Bosso, S., Pessione, E., Gastaldi, D., & Dosio, F. (2018). Cannabinoid delivery systems for pain and inflammation treatment. Molecules, 2478, 1-25. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23102478
- Eichler, M., Spinedi, L., Unfer-Grauwiler, S., Bodmer, M., Surber, C., Luedi, M., & Drewe, J. (2012). Heat Exposure of Cannabis sativa extracts affects the pharmacokinetic and metabolic profile in healthy male subjects. Planta Medica, 78, 686-691.
L’article Serum cannabidiol, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and their native acid derivatives after transdermal application of a low-THC Cannabis sativa extract in beagles. est apparu en premier sur Cannabis Belgique.